Overview: This two week accredited program gives students a hands-on orientation of archaeological field techniques and field anthropology, including archaeological survey, archaeological excavation, experimental archaeology and post-excavation analysis. Our program is delivered at the Ferrycarrig ringwork castle, within the confines of the Irish National Heritage Park (INHP) in Wexford, southeast Ireland. This program is run in partnership with Maynooth University.
Students learn how to excavate and critically assess an archaeological site within its landscape. We achieve such an understanding by deploying a range of methods that include archaeological survey, archaeological excavation and post-excavation analysis. The diversity of this course allows students to understand the significance of an archaeological site within its heritage setting in general, and that of the medieval landscape of Wexford in particular.
Staying with local families in homestay accommodation, this program also offers a deeply enriching cultural immersion, guaranteeing students a truly memorable experience.
Covid-19: We are monitoring the situation closely, we will make updates as required and keep you informed. In the event that a student cancels a program please see our Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
- Program Dates: January 18 – February 1 (TBC for 2023)
- Location: Wexford & the Irish National Heritage Park
- Enrolment Status: *Click the button below to join our 2023 waiting list!*
- Includes: All Meals, Accommodation, Tuition, Instruction, Equipment, T-shirt & Field Trips.
- Program Type: Archaeology & Anthropology
- Instructors: Dr Denis Shine & Dr Stephen Mandal
- Academic Credit: 7.5 ECTS (equivalent to 3-4 US semester credits)
- Cost: €1,975 (TBC for 2023)
- Application Deadline*: December 1, 2022 (TBC for 2023)
- Payment Deadline: December 1, 2022 (TBC for 2023)
*A late application fee of €200 will apply after this date.
Registration does not guarantee acceptance to the program, which is contingent on a reference check. Once we have contacted your referee, and are happy with their reference, we will contact you with an official acceptance and payment link for a minimum payment of a €500 deposit.