Overview: This two week program provides a unique experience, teaching students how to excavate and assess human remains within a multi-period burial site, in Ferns, County Wexford. The program is designed for students from a variety of academic backgrounds with an interest in osteoarchaeology and physical/forensic anthropology. Students will gain practical burial excavation experience (in a controlled staged environment) and will analyse archaeological skeletal remains during a series of laboratory sessions (which include instruction on topics such as human and comparative osteology, determining sex approximate age-at-death, living stature, identifying palaeopathological conditions, etc). The course integrates a live field excavation, whereby students learn how to locate and record burials within a ‘real’ setting – the 7th century St Aidan’s monastery and 12th century St Mary’s Augustinian Abbey. This program is directed by one of Ireland’s foremost osteoarchaeologists, Dr Linda Lynch.
Staying with local families in homestay accommodation, this program also offers a deeply enriching cultural immersion, guaranteeing students a truly memorable experience.
The site is located within Ferns town, one of Ireland’s most important medieval centres, providing a stunning backdrop to the archaeological research site.
Registration does not guarantee acceptance to the program, which is contingent on a reference check. Once we have contacted your referee, and are happy with their reference, we will contact you with an official acceptance and payment link for a minimum of a €500 deposit.
- Course Dates: June 12 – 25, 2022
- Where: St Aidan’s Monastery, Ferns, County Wexford.
- Enrolment Status: Closed. Click the button below to join our waiting list!
- Including all meals, accommodation, tuition, instruction, equipment and field trips
- Course Type: Bioarchaeology/Forensic Anthropology
- Instructors: Dr Linda Lynch, Dr Denis Shine
The accredited option provided through the IFR is now closed, join the waiting list for 2023 below.
- Academic Credit: 3 semester credit units (equivalent to 4.5 quarter units)
- Cost: US$3,010
- Application Deadline: April 15th 2022
- Payment Deadline: April 15th 2022